Selecting an engagement ring is an exciting time filled with promise. If you want to reflect the energy and “fire” your relationship holds, look no further than the moissanite gemstone. Learn how this affordable stone is an excellent alternative to the traditional diamond.
History of the Moissanite Gemstone
The origin of the moissanite is literally from out of this world. Moissanite crystals were discovered inside a meteor crater by French chemist Henri Moissan in 1893. Because of their rarity in nature, now almost all jewelry is made from synthetic moissanite. Commercial gemstones are forms of crystalline silicon carbide created in laboratories.
Qualities of the Moissanite Gemstone
Moissanites hold several comparable qualities to their much-revered counterparts. Consider these characteristics in making the ideal selection for you:
- This term refers to a stone’s ability to reflect white light. It is a good measure of how much a gemstone will sparkle. The brilliance of a moissanite gemstone is greater than a diamond because of its higher “refractive index.” This index indicates how much a jewel bends light. The light bounces around more within the moissanite stone, causing the sparkle to be remarkable.
- Not only does a moissanite stone exceed a diamond in brilliance, but it also has a higher dispersion. This characteristic causes the gemstone to emit greater colored sparkle, or “fire.”
- This gemstone contains some silicon, so it is less likely to attract grease or dirt. This quality allows the stone to retain its sparkle between routine cleanings.
- Double refraction. The moissanite has a unique double refraction compared to the single refraction of diamonds. This quality increases the fire of the moissanite.
- The moissanite is the second hardest gemstone, surpassed only by the diamond. Because of its hardness, the stone is very durable and suitable for everyday wear.
- A moissanite stone offers intense brilliance and fire at a fraction of the cost. This economical option frees the budget up for additional wedding items or an investment in a home or other major purchase.
- Lab created. If finding gemstones that are manmade is important to your values, you can rest assured with moissanites. All gem quality moissanites are created in labs.
A moissanite gemstone is a mesmerizing option for your engagement ring selection. We at Mark’s Diamonds offer a variety of moissanites from which to choose. Every jewelry piece at Mark’s Diamonds reflects precise attention to quality and detail. We desire to provide the optimum number of choices within every buying range. Contact Mark’s Diamonds today for a consultation.